Connect with us

Broadcasting

ANOGA Intensifies Fight against Online Piracy, Illegal Websites

Published

on

The Alliance of Nollywood Guilds and Associations (ANOGA) says that no fewer than 200 websites have been pirating the Nigerian creative contents in the last 12 months using their Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS) domiciled in the country.

ANOGA stated this in its communiqué issued at the end of its meeting held in Lagos.

It was signed by Dr Victor Ashaolu, ANOGA’s president, Mr Afolabi Ogunjobi , its Secretary General and Chief Donatus Chikezie, an executive member of the association.

The communiqué said; “Through our exclusive aggregator, MDN Limited, we have been able to engage a US-based anti-piracy organisation to fight piracy of the Nigerian creative contents on the online platforms globally.

“As part of its test operation, the organisation recently discovered over 200 websites pirating Nigerian creative contents in the last 12 months with their Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS) domiciled in Nigeria’’ it said.

ANOGA also said that some telecommunication companies had also conspired with some middle men called Value Added Service (VAS) Licence holders to deny creative content owners in the music and film industry in Nigeria of their revenues.

It said that such revenues should have accrued to the content owners from downloading and streaming their platforms.

ANOGA however, appealed to the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed and the Minister of Communications, Alhaji Adebayo Shittu, to compel ALTON to make public royalties collected from its sales of Nollywood members’ works in the last one year.

In his reactions, Mr Gbenga Adebayo, the chairman of ALTON confirmed that the association received a letter from ANOGA.

Adebayo said that the letter had been referred to a committee within the association and it was looking into it.

“We need to find out what their legal standing is, because we have the Copyright Society of Nigeria (COSON) and the Copyright Society of Nigeria (COSON), are asking for royalties on some people’s behalf.

“We have asked that the committee should look into the legality of the requests of ANOGA.

“We are looking at what they sent us with relative to what the provision of the law is and at the right time, we will make the right communication to them,” he said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Comments

Broadcasting

Nigerians Protest DStv Tariff Hike, Urge Govt to Intervene

Published

on

Many Nigerians on Monday decried the announcement by Multichoice that it would increase its subscription rates for DStv packages from August 1.

 

Multichoice in its messages to its subscribers recently, said that it would, however, reduce its rates for Gotv on its satellite platform.

 

The company which recently announced the proposed increment said that its rate for the Dstv Premium package would be from N14, 700 to N15; 800; the Compact Plus would be increased to N10, 650 from N9, 900.

 

It added that the Compact package would be from N6,300 to N6,800; Family package would be increased from N3,800 to N4,000, and Access package would be from would be from N1,900 to N2,000.

 

It, however, said that each of its subscribers on Gotv Max package would begin to pay N3,200 instead of the previous N3,800.

 

It added that each of its subscribers on Gotv Plus, Gotv Value and Gotv Lite subscribers would be paying N1,900, N1,250 and N400, respectively, on monthly basis.

 

Some Nigerians condemned the proposed new rates in their posts on their social media platforms.

 

They said that it would amount to ripping them off of their hard earned money as well as wondered what was responsible for the sudden increase.

NBC_logo.jpg

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reported that a Twitter name Mazi Ubadire was quoted as saying: “I just saw a message on my DStv explorer about an upgrade of subscription from high to higher.

 

“What is the rationale behind this increment of subscription fees on DStv, the company needs to explain.”

 

Akinlade tweeted: “These DStv guys are not ready to do business. After showing the same programmes repeatedly till the subscriber gets tired, they are increasing their subscriptions.”

 

Abiodun Bukola said: “DStv has increased the price for premium again. These guys are bold.

 cpc.jpg

“The question we must ask DStv is how come they cannot change their subscriptions to Pay as you use?

 

“If not for the football channels my husband watches, I would have thrown that decoder in the bin.”

 

Olamipekun Adeshina tweets: “DStv has increased their subscription again, why are these people ripping us off like this and more importantly, why are we quiet? This madness has to stop.

 

“I just received a message from DStv about decreasing my channels by 15.8 (%) per cent. Is it with the new tariff or the old tariff? I don’t understand them.

 

“Is this how DStv will be reaping us up in our own country? Is this obtainable. in other countries where they exist? What happens to our consumer rights?”

 

Zoba Okorie tweeted: “DStv is a liability not an asset. It takes money off your pocket and doesn’t bring back cash flow. So, if you genuinely can’t afford it for now and pay comfortably, don’t get it.

 

“Don’t be pressurised by the internet people. Don’t try to fit in, just be you and leave within your means.’’

 

Blessing Nwanze tweeted: “Even with everyday repeat of movies and programmes, DStv is still increasing the amount of their brochure effective 1 August, 2018.

 

“This is really more money for nothing. Do we have a government? Can this be regulated or the government is on free subscription.”

Continue Reading

Broadcasting

NBC Mulls Sanctions for Broadcast Stations over N4.2Bn Debt

Published

on

Is’haq Modibo Kawu, director general, National Broadcasting Commission (NBC), said that the commission would wield the big hammer on broadcast stations across the nation for their indebtedness to the tune of N4.2billion.

 

Kawu,, who spoke on Monday at the NBC Summit 2018 with the theme “Broadcast Content Development: Deepening Democratic Culture in Nigeria,” organized for broadcast stations which was held in Enugu, said so many broadcast stations are currently indebted to the commission even when the commission was supposed to be generating revenue for the federal government.

 

Bilbis said: “Very soon NBC will begin to sanction broadcast station indebted to the commission. We are supposed to be gerating funds for the federal government, and N4.2billion is a whole lot of money. When we sanction, it’s because we need to sanction.”

 

He further explained that the broadcast stations indebted to the commission comprised both television and radio stations, adding that part of their indebtedness was in the failures to renew their licences with the commission over the years.

 

The event which was well-attended by notable broadcast media practitioners in the country was declared open by Chief Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, Enugu state Governor.

 

 

Continue Reading

Broadcasting

NBC Shuts Down Ekiti Broadcasting Stations Indefinitely

Published

on

National Broadcasting Commission (NBC), has ordered the immediate shut down of the Ekiti state broadcasting service for infractions of the Nigeria broadcasting Code and the Electoral Act.

 

The Commission took this decision after unauthorized declaration of the governorship election results by Mr. Ayodele Fayose, state Governor on the Ekiti State Broadcasting stations.

 

In addition, the Governor went on air to make malicious and unsubstantiated claims against the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), the Nigerian Police and the Department of Security Services.

 

The station will remain shut down till further notice.

 

The Commission had on Tuesday 5th June queried the station’s, Mr. Lere Olayinka, acting director general who is doubling as the spokesman for the PDP campaign organisation in breach of Section 5.2.18 of the Nigeria Broadcasting Code in letters to the Station and the State Government. Both letters were ignored by the recipients.

 

 

Maimuna Jimada, head, Public Affairs, said that the Ekiti State Broadcasting Service on Wednesday 11th July, 2018 was found in breach of sections 5.2.7 and 5.2.8 of the Code for which it was reprimanded and fined N500,000 by the Commission.

 

Jimada, quoted Mal. Is’haq Modibbo Kawu, director general,  as saying that he “wishes to re-emphasize that all broadcasters must adhere strictly to the ethics of the profession in conducting all programmes on their stations in respect to the Nigeria Broadcasting Code, the National Broadcasting Act CAP N11 Laws of the Federation, 2004 and the Electoral Act.

 

For the avoidance of doubt, Kawu hereby draws the attention of all, to the following sections of the Nigeria Broadcasting Code:

 

3.1.2 which states that:

Materials likely to incite or encourage to the commission of a crime or    lead to public disorder shall not be broadcast

 

5.2.15 which states that:

A broadcaster shall broadcast election results or declaration of the winner only as announced by the authorized electoral officer for the election.

 

Broadcasters are hereby also reminded that the Social Media is not an official source for release of election results.

 

The NBC wishes to reiterate that broadcasting stations must ensure proper gate keeping and professionalism in all programmes transmitted on their stations as the Commission would impose severe sanctions for any breach of the Broadcasting Code.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Communication Week Media Limited.