Monday, 17 August 2026
Nigeria Communications Week
News

CISA Asks NDPC, Police to Act on Alleged Data Breach by NIPSS

Ebere Melum-Nwogbo14 Apr 20260 Comments
CISA Asks NDPC, Police to Act on Alleged Data Breach by NIPSS
Kindly share this post

Citizens Initiative for Safety Awareness (CISA), advocacy group focused on security, data protection, and counter-terrorism, has urged the Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC) to provide an…

Citizens Initiative for Safety Awareness (CISA), advocacy group focused on security, data protection, and counter-terrorism, has urged the Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC) to provide an update on a petition alleging a cybersecurity breach and unlawful access to private communications involving officials of the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS).

CISA Asks NDPC, Police to Act on Alleged Data Breach by NIPSS

Mr Chidi Omeje, national coordinator, in a letter dated April 10, 2026, observed no response from the commission so far.

Filed on July 1, 2025, by Mr Yushau A. Shuaib, the petition claims unauthorised access, interception, and use of private digital correspondence belonging to him and PRNigeria, his company.

The complaint named Barrister Nima Salman Mann, Rear Admiral Abubakar Abdullahi Mustapha, and Professor Elias Wahab concerning the alleged breach. Such incidents are outlined in the Nigeria Data Protection Act (NDPA) 2023, regarding data privacy, cybersecurity safeguards, and the protection of sensitive information.

CISA said if confirmed, the alleged actions contravene Nigeria’s data protection framework, with implications for data governance, safety of confidential media sources, and public trust in institutions.

It requests the NDPC to clarify the status of the probe, disclose any interim findings, and cite measures to prevent similar breaches.

The organisation believes the matter has evolved beyond an individual complaint, describing it as a test of the government’s commitment to enforcing its data protection laws, especially within ministries, departments, and agencies.

CISA also appealed to Tunji Disu, inspector general of Police, to order an investigation into the alleged cybercrime.

In a statement,  Omeje criticised the “prolonged delay” by the Force Criminal Investigation Department (FCID) in acting on a petition submitted since June 2025.

The group said, despite “credible evidence,” the police had yet to invite or question the individuals mentioned. Pointing out that two of the officials share membership in the National Institute (mni) with the former DIG at the FCID, CISA raised concerns about a possible conflict of interest.

Omeje clarified that the petition was different from the civil suit at the Federal High Court over Mr Shuaib’s withdrawal from the NIPSS programme.

“An elementary legal principle holds that a civil suit cannot be a bar to criminal investigation or prosecution,” he noted.

CISA called on the police to act in accordance with due process, advising the authorities to uphold the rule of law and restore public confidence.

It contends that failure to act decisively could erode trust in law enforcement and reinforce perceptions of a two-tier justice system.

E
Published by

Ebere Melum-Nwogbo

Trained and practicing journalist passionate about telecommunications, fintech, cybersecurity, and digital economy reporting.

More in News