Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us

Telecom

EU Launches Probe Into TikTok Over Child Protection

Published

on

Kindly share this post

The EU on Monday announced a formal investigation into TikTok over alleged breaches of its obligations to protect minors online, under a landmark new law on policing digital content.

It is the second probe into a major online platform since Brussels introduced the Digital Services Act (DSA), after targeting tech billionaire Elon Musk’s X in December.

Brussels is particularly concerned that the video-sharing app owned by China’s ByteDance may not be doing enough to address negative impacts on young people.

A key worry is the so-called “rabbit hole” effect — which occurs when users are fed related content based on an algorithm, in some cases leading to more dangerous content.

The European Commission’s concerns also include TikTok’s age verification tools, which it said “may not be reasonable, proportionate and effective”.

The commission opened “formal proceedings to assess whether TikTok may have breached” the DSA in other areas including “advertising transparency” and “data access for researchers”.

The action comes after analysing a risk assessment report by TikTok and its replies to Brussels’ requests for more information about what measures the video-sharing platform has taken against illegal content, the protection of minors and access to data.

‘Spare no effort’

Regulators will continue to gather evidence, the commission said, adding that the move empowered it to take further enforcement steps if necessary.

“As a platform that reaches millions of children and teenagers, TikTok must fully comply with the DSA and has a particular role to play in the protection of minors online,” said the EU’s internal market commissioner, Thierry Breton.

“We are launching this formal infringement proceeding today to ensure that proportionate action is taken to protect the physical and emotional well-being of young Europeans. We must spare no effort to protect our children,” Breton added.

TikTok has over 142 million monthly users across the EU, up from 125 million last year.

“TikTok needs to take a close look at the services they offer and carefully consider the risks that they pose to their users — young as well as old,” commission executive vice president Margrethe Vestager said.

The formal probe will focus on four areas: how TikTok assesses and mitigates systemic risks; how the company is complying with protecting minors’ privacy and safety; TikTok’s measures on providing a “reliable” advertisement repository and the steps taken to increase transparency.

TikTok said it was working to protect minors online.

“TikTok has pioneered features and settings to protect teens and keep under 13s off the platform, issues the whole industry is grappling with,” a TikTok spokesperson said.

“We’ll continue to work with experts and industry to keep young people on TikTok safe, and look forward to now having the opportunity to explain this work in detail to the Commission.”

Risk of fines

There is no deadline for the completion of the proceedings.

The DSA gives Brussels the power to levy heavy fines, with penalties for violations that can include fines going up to six percent of a digital firm’s global revenues.

The commission can even block platforms in the 27-nation bloc for serious and repeated violations.

The EU law came into effect last year for the world’s biggest online platforms including TikTok and X as well as Facebook and Instagram.

The new rules demand companies do more to police content online, but also expect digital retailers to act swiftly and effectively to protect shoppers online.

The DSA law has applied to all platforms since February 17.

AFP


Kindly share this post

Ugo Onwuaso is an ICT enthusiast. He believes technology should be used for general good. He holds a Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree from the Lagos state University. Dear Reader, Your support matters. But we believe that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. That is why, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and finance and how they affect lives. Our incisive and analytical view of how technology news affects the daily life help individuals and organizations make up their minds. Quality journalism costs money. Today, we're asking that you support us to do more. Kindly support our effort to deliver technology and finance journalism to everyone in the world. Donate as little as N1,000. Bank transfers can be made to: UBA Plc 1017156876 Communication Week Media Ltd

Telecom

Top Nigerian Journalists to Share Insights On MTN MIP This Friday

Published

on

Kindly share this post

As the application window for the fourth edition of the MTN’s coveted Media Innovation Programme (MIP) remains open till April 7, 2025, prospective fellows will have an exclusive opportunity to gain valuable insights into the application process during a special webinar on Friday, April 4, 2025, at 11:00 AM.

The session, organised in collaboration with the School of Media and Communication, Pan-Atlantic University, will feature four distinguished MIP alumni:

Ebunoluwa Dosumu – A seasoned media professional with expertise in journalism and content strategy; Augustus Aigbe – A communications specialist known for innovative storytelling and strategic media engagement; Àmáká Òkóyè – A dynamic media consultant with experience in international media projects and digital transformation; and Mike Okwoche – A veteran broadcaster and media trainer with a passion for mentoring upcoming journalists.

This webinar follows the March 28 session, where previous MIP fellows shared how the programme reshaped their careers and perspectives on media innovation.

Tomorrow’s session will take the conversation further, providing step-by-step guidance on the application process, sharing practical tips for crafting compelling essays, and answering live questions from attendees.

The MTN Media Innovation Programme, launched in partnership with the School of Media and Communication, Pan-Atlantic University, is designed to equip media professionals with the tools, exposure, and network to navigate the evolving media landscape. Since its inception, the programme has empowered journalists, content creators, and media strategists to lead innovation in the industry.

Interested participants are encouraged to register for the webinar and take advantage of this opportunity to hear directly from past fellows who have successfully gone through the programme.

Don’t miss this career-shaping session! Register now: bit.ly/MIP2025_webinar2

For more information on the MTN Media Innovation Programme and how to apply, visit https://smc.edu.ng/apply-here/.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

Mastercard and Nomba Unite to Drive Seamless Digital Payments in Nigeria

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Mastercard has announced a strategic collaboration with Nomba, a leading payment solutions provider, to deliver seamless payment experiences for businesses across the country.

Through this collaboration, Mastercard Gateway will be integrated into Nomba’s Checkout solution, offering businesses a seamless, secure, and efficient way to process transactions and connect with customers locally and globally.

Mastercard’s trusted global infrastructure and cutting-edge technology will help Nomba to elevate its payment solutions, enabling businesses to deliver faster, safer, and more reliable payment options. By integrating Mastercard’s advanced capabilities, Nomba Checkout will support a variety of payment methods, including international cards, QR codes etc.

This collaboration aims to enhance payment experiences and advance financial inclusion by expanding access to digital payments in Nigeria and across Africa.

Folasade Femi-Lawal, Country Manager and Area Business Head for West Africa at Mastercard, said: “As Mastercard continues driving innovation and financial inclusion, we are thrilled to join forces with Nomba in its mission to deliver premier payment solutions to businesses in Nigeria.

“Our broader mission includes bringing one billion people into the digital economy by 2025, and this collaboration with Nomba is an important step in driving that goal. With our trusted global infrastructure and cutting-edge technology, we are excited to support Nomba in its efforts to drive the growth of digital payment solutions, offering businesses a faster, safer, and more reliable way to connect with customers.”

Jafer Ali Shariff, Head of Product at Nomba, said: “At Nomba, what excites us is seeing our customers’ growth journey and this collaboration with Mastercard is a fundamental step that unlocks new opportunities. As we work towards building a digital Africa, Mastercard’s global expertise and state-of-the-art technology will allow Nomba Checkout to deliver the speed, efficiency and reliability our customers need to scale their businesses.”

The collaboration brings several benefits for businesses, including enhanced reliability through Mastercard’s secure global infrastructure, improved fraud prevention and data protection tools, and expanded access to Mastercard’s vast network of users. Faster transaction processing also enables businesses to operate more efficiently, improving cash flow and customer satisfaction.

Looking ahead, Mastercard and Nomba remain committed to expanding the payment ecosystem across Africa. With the growing demand for digital payment solutions, this collaboration is an important step toward creating a seamless and secure payment landscape that empowers businesses and consumers alike. Together, Mastercard and Nomba are driving the transition toward an inclusive, digital Africa, one payment at a time.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Telecom

How MIP Is Making a Difference in The Media Landscape

Published

on

Kindly share this post

MTN Media Innovation Program (MIP), a six-month fully-funded certificate fellowship designed for media professionals, is redefining journalism and content creation in Nigeria.

Now in its fourth year, MIP, launched by MTN Nigeria in partnership with the School of Media and Communication (SMC), Pan-Atlantic University, is empowering journalists, broadcasters, and content creators with the tools to adapt, innovate, and thrive in today’s challenging media landscape.

Despite promising forecast that the market value of the Nigerian entertainment and media industry will grow from US$9.0bn in 2023 to US$13.6bn in 2028, the media sector has since grappled with issues such as limited access to training, financial instability, and the rapid decline of traditional revenue models. With digital platforms disrupting how news is consumed and monetised, journalists and media owners must rethink their approach.

MIP provides a structured learning environment where media professionals gain first-hand exposure to new industry trends, digital transformation, and the intersection of media and ICT. From data journalism to audience engagement strategies, participants leave the program with actionable skills that are shaping the future of storytelling in Nigeria.

A standout feature of MIP is its international study visit to South Africa, where fellows engage with leading media institutions, visit MTN Group’s headquarters, and participate in hands-on training sessions at the University of Johannesburg. This global exposure provides invaluable insights into how media practitioners in other markets are leveraging technology and innovation to stay ahead.

For many participants, this has been a career-defining experience. Juliet Tontoye, Vice-President, MIP Cohort 3, describes the program as ‘a turning point.’ “When we share our experiences with our colleagues at our respective media houses, we realize that the program’s benefits and impact are easier to experience than explain. In the past three months, MIP has been such an eye-opening journey. It’s a fellowship every media professional needs to experience. MTN has been such a wonderful host and we know this costs millions of Naira. However, we believe it will have a profound impact on our colleagues.”

Beyond individual impact, MIP is helping reshape the media industry by fostering collaboration and leadership. By bridging the gap between traditional journalism and digital innovation, the program ensures that fellows graduate not just as better storytellers, but as industry disruptors with a mission to create lasting change. The program’s 60 alumni, now spread across Nigeria’s top media organisations, are applying their knowledge to revolutionise newsrooms, create digital-first content strategies, and introduce sustainable business models.

According to Tobechukwu Okigbo, Chief Corporate Services & Sustainability Officer, MTN Nigeria: “When we launched MIP in 2022, our goal was to enhance media professionals’ reporting capabilities and deepen their understanding of the technology sector, empowering them to become true media innovators. Seeing the impact of the programme over the past three years has been both inspiring and humbling. We are proud to continue this initiative and invite all eligible media professionals and content creators to seize this opportunity by applying for the fourth cohort.”

Similarly, the Dean of the School of Media and Communication, Pan-Atlantic University, stated: “SMC will leverage its extensive experience in training media professionals to equip this next cohort. And we will do this with our usual emphasis on creativity and ethics.”

With over 60 fellows trained since its inception in 2022, MIP is building a network of media advocates who are championing ethical reporting, storytelling innovation, and the smart use of technology in journalism.

MTN Nigeria has invested over NGN 300 Million in building Nigeria’s media industry in the past three years through its partnership with PAU.

As applications open for the 2025 cohort, the program continues to attract top-tier talent eager to take their careers to the next level and contribute to the transformation of Nigerian media.

For journalists, broadcasters, and content creators looking to future-proof their careers, the MTN Media Innovation Program is more than just a fellowship—it is a movement that is reshaping the industry, one fellow at a time.

Interested journalists, bloggers, and content creators can apply for the MIP 2025 at https://bit.ly/MTN_MIP2025.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending