Telecom
FG Officially Hands over 5G Spectrum Allocation to NCC

Federal government has officially handed over the spectrum allocation for Fifth Generation (5G) deployment in the country to the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).
This is coming barely a week before the deadline set by the NCC for the payment of the spectrum fees by the winners of the 3.5GHz spectrum auction.
Dr. Ikechukwu Adinde, director, Public Affairs , NCC, in a statement said that Prof. Isa Ali Ibrahim Pantami, minister of Communications and Digital Economy, presented the official document on the 3.5GHz spectrum allocation to the Commission at a public event which took place at the Transcorp Hilton, Abuja on Thursday.
Pantami, is also chairman, National Frequency Management Council (NFMC).
The 5G spectrum allocation document was received by Prof. Adeolu Akande, chairman, NCC Board of Commissioners, and Prof. Umar Garba Danbatta, commission’s executive vice chairman/CEO on behalf of the Commission.
Speaking at the event, which also witnessed the public presentation of the National Policy on 5G Networks, a document earlier launched by President Muhammadu Buhari on January 25, 2022, the Minister commended the NCC leadership for ‘a transparent, fair and credible 3.5GHz spectrum auction’ conducted on December 13, 2021.
Pantami stated that the NFMC, which he chairs, has the responsibility for managing the allocation of commercial and non-commercial spectrum resources in the country while the NCC is facilitating the deployment of spectrum in the country. Hence, the Council decided to allocate the assigned spectrum for 5G network to the NCC to enable it assign same to the winners of the 3.5GHz spectrum auction.
Pantami also stated that the 5G network, when deployed, will bring a lot of benefits and opportunities that will engender accelerated growth and smart living in the country. He asserted that the technology will bring substantial network improvements, including higher connection speed, mobility and capacity, as well as low-latency capabilities.
Earlier in his remarks, Akande appreciated the Minister for his efforts in ensuring that every clog that could hinder successful deployment of 5G services are addressed, thus paving the way for mutual understanding and trust among all stakeholders to ensure that the derivable benefits of the new technology are harnessed timely for the nation’s socio-economic development.
He said the effective implementation of the National Policy on 5G, which the Commission is driving, will help in the actualization of the national targets in the Nigerian National Broadband Plan (NNBP) 2020-2025, the National Digital Economy Policy and Strategy 2020-2030, as well as other sectoral policies designed to enhance Nigeria’s digital culture.
The EVC of NCC, Danbatta, while expressing appreciation to the Minister and all stakeholders for the role played in the emerging 5G network policy implementation initiatives, said the collective efforts of the private sector and government support will make deployment of 5G network transform every aspect of the nation’s economy. He was optimistic that the expected transformation will be greater than what the nation witnessed with the 1G, 2G, 3G and 4G.
Recalling the diligence that attended the implementation of 5G policy by the NCC since the process started in 2019, Danbatta said Nigeria had taken proactive and meticulous steps to be among the leading players in the global digital economy.
“We have been meticulous all the way in our 5G deployment journey, from trial across selected states in the country, to review and stakeholder engagement, to approval by the Federal Executive Council (FEC), to the 3.5GHz spectrum auction, and up to the official launch of the national policy on 5G network by the President. Now we have the official allocation of the spectrum to the NCC for onward assignments to the winners. So, the coast is clear for the country to assign the specific reference in the spectrum to the winners, upon announcement of payments,” Danbatta said.
Meanwhile, eminent stakeholders and dignitaries at the event, have commended Danbatta for ensuring sterling record of transparency and accountability in the sale of the 3.5GHz Spectrum Band allocated for deployment of 5G network in Nigeria.
The stakeholders include the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Communications and Digital economy, Mr. Bitrus Nabasu; the former Executive Secretary of the Commonwealth Telecommunication Organisation (CTO), Mr. Shola Taylor; Director General, National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), Kashifu Abdullahi; Managing Director of Galaxy Backbone Plc, Prof. Muhammed Abubakar; and the Director General of National Identity Management Commission, Dr. Aliyu Aziz, among others.
Earlier in a presentation on the Benefits of 5G, Engr Shola Taylor, a former Secretary of the Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation, declared that 5G will have far-reaching transformational impact on major sectors of the Nigerian economy, which will bring about rapid social-economic development of the country.
Telecom
Vitel Wireless, Nigeria’s First MVNO to Launch Operations This Quarter

Vitel Wireless, a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO), which recently made history as the first operator in Nigeria to be allocated a mobile number series by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) is set to launch operations this quarter.
This is sequel to announcement by Wireless Technology Labs (WTL) that t has built the network of Vitel Wireless, and enabled overseas roaming, in preparation for Vitel’s launch.
Vitel Wireless, which is headquartered in Lagos, was licensed by the NCC in 2023 and will be the country’s first MVNO.
Its launch is set to shake up Nigeria’s telecoms market with Vitel offering an alternative to the services of the country’s four major operators—MTN, Airtel, Globacom and 9Mobile.
Vitel’s network will go live in Nigeria’s major cities first and then expand nationwide.
Pricing will be competitive for basic services like voice, SMS and data and Vitel will also focus on value added services like location-based services (LBS) and IOT.
Vitel Wireless is building Experience Centres in Lagos, Abuja, Enugu, Port Harcourt, Kano and Nigeria’s other major cities where customers can purchase SIM cards.
In addition, Vitel is building a distributor network with SIM cards available through retail channels and online subscriptions using eSIMs.
WTL has already completed the integration of Vitel’s infrastructure with the network of a major MNO and has also enabled international roaming using its proprietary advanced core systems.
This means that Vitel will be able to launch as soon as the NCC approves its network and operational model.
Kenneth Nwabueze, CEO of Vitel Wireless, said “We are going to be offering innovative solutions beyond what the big four operators who have dominated Nigeria’s telecoms market are currently offering. We are investing heavily in our operations, and our work with WTL will enable us to launch in Q2, 2025”.
WTL, which is headquartered in Belgium, has been active in Nigeria and across Africa for more than 20 years working with operators of all sizes to rollout both urban and rural networks. Its work has garnered widespread recognition and industry awards.
WTL has already enabled the networks of two of the 46 new MVNOs licensed by the NCC, and recently announced that it is working with Nigeria’s first Mobile Virtual Network Enabler (MVNE) which is constructing new mobile network infrastructure to provide capacity for emerging MVNOs through its Platform as a Service (PaaS) model.
Mr. Satya Mekala, CEO of WTL, said, “I congratulate The NCC for licensing new operators to improve competitiveness, increase rural coverage and drive the adoption of digital services including Fintech, Edtech, Agriculture, IOT and more. I further thank Vitel for giving us the opportunity to showcase our advanced core technologies and wish them great success in becoming the first ever MVNO in Nigeria”.
Telecom
ipNX Partners NCC to Deepen Broadband Penetration

ipNX, Nigeria’s leading information and communications technology company and connectivity provider is collaborating with the Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC) to explore opportunities for further growth and development policy alignment in support of the Federal Government of Nigeria’s broadband penetration and digital transformation agenda.
The company recently visited NCC at it Abuja office to strengthen the collaborative relationship between both institutions.
The delegation from ipNX, which was led by Ejovi Aror, group managing director, was received by Dr Aminu Maida, executive vice chairman/chief executive officer, Nigeria Communications Commission.
During the visit, the discussions focused on the current state of internet access in Nigeria, the myriad of challenges being faced by service providers, including but not limited to vandalism of key infrastructure and right of way, as well as the regulatory landscape.
The engagement highlighted the shared vision of both institutions to bridge the digital divide and empower Nigerians through reliable and affordable internet connectivity.
As a leading player in Nigeria’s ICT sector, ipNX reaffirmed its unwavering commitment to the realisation of the National Broadband Plan, which aims to achieve 70% broadband penetration this year.
With over two decades of pioneering innovation within the sector, the company has consistently demonstrated resilience across different economic cycles without compromising quality of service and affordable pricing.
Commenting on the visit, Aror, stated, “Our engagement with the Nigeria Communications Commission is a positive step towards shaping the future of telecommunications in Nigeria. At ipNX, we believe that active collaboration with regulators and other key stakeholders is critical to achieving the development targets outlined in the National Broadband Plan. We are proud to continue playing a pivotal role to drive broadband penetration and ensure that every Nigerian, irrespective of their location, has access to the transformative power of the internet.”
The meeting also emphasised the importance of policy alignment and regulatory frameworks that enable innovation, investment, and sustainable growth in the telecommunications sector.
As Nigeria continues to make strides in its digital transformation journey, ipNX stands ready to leverage its expertise, infrastructure, and partnerships to support the realisation of the government’s broadband penetration objectives.
The company remains dedicated to empowering individuals, businesses, and communities through cutting-edge technology and unparalleled connectivity solutions.
Telecom
Truecaller Surpasses 450m Users, Expands Global Reach

Truecaller, the popular caller identity app, announced that it surpassed 450 million users earlier this week, expanding it’s global reach.
The company added 50 million users in the past 10 months, including 15.5 million since the beginning of 2025.
Leadership Changes and Market Expansion
India remains Truecaller’s largest market, a factor reflected in the company’s recent leadership decision.
Following the decision of its co-founders to step back from daily operations last year, Truecaller appointed Rishit Jhunjhunwala, previously the Chief Product Officer and MD of India operations, as the new CEO.
While India continues to be a key market, Jhunjhunwala noted that the company is seeing rapid growth in other regions.
“We are proud that we now serve more than 450 million users globally. As before, we continue to see steady growth in our largest market, India, but the fastest relative growth is in markets outside of India.
“So far in 2025, we see strong growth trends in Latin America, South Africa, Kenya, Nigeria, Malaysia, and the US,” Jhunjhunwala wrote in a blog post.
Regulatory Challenges in India
Despite its dominance in India, Truecaller faces potential challenges as the country’s telecom department pushes for mobile carriers to implement a government-backed caller ID system.
This move could introduce competition to Truecaller’s services in one of its most crucial markets.
Financial Performance and Market Position
Truecaller maintained an active user base of nearly 430 million throughout Q4 2024. The company reported strong financial results for the quarter ending in December, with:
Net sales increasing by 23% year-over-year
Profit after tax rising by 29%
Stock price up more than 33% year-to-date
Product Enhancements and AI Integration
Earlier this year, Truecaller improved its caller ID functionality for iOS, overcoming previous limitations imposed by Apple’s operating system.
The company has also been expanding its offerings beyond caller identification by introducing:
Call recording and transcription features
An AI-powered assistant for call screening
Enhancements to its SMS and chat functionalities
With these advancements, Truecaller aims to solidify its position as a comprehensive communication platform while navigating competitive and regulatory challenges.
- News3 days ago
NIPSS Projects Petrol Prices to Hit ₦750/Litre Before Year’s End!
- E-Financial3 days ago
Fidelity Bank Reports N385.2Bn Pre-Tax Profit for 2024
- E-Business3 days ago
NIMC Says NIN Mandatory to Government Loans
- General News3 days ago
Financial Cyberthreats Report Reveals 3.6Ttimes Surge in Mobile Banking Malware
- News3 days ago
FG to Create 1m Technology Jobs – Minister
- E-Financial3 days ago
New Investment Law Empowers SEC to Obtain User Data from Telcos
- E-Business3 days ago
Africa’s Data Workers are Being Exploited by Foreign Tech Firms – Report
- E-Financial3 days ago
Ponzi Operators Risk 10-Year Jail Term, N20m Fine – SEC