Thursday, 20 August 2026
Nigeria Communications Week
News

Proposed Nitel Workers Protest Flops

Comms Week23 Mar 20090 Comments
Kindly share this post

National Union of Postal and Telecommunications Employees (NUPTE)  last week failed on its planned protest over the sack of 78 workers of  the Nigerian Telecommunications Plc (Nitel) …


National Union of Postal and Telecommunications Employees (NUPTE)  last week failed on its planned protest over the sack of 78 workers of  the Nigerian Telecommunications Plc (Nitel)  as majority of the workers refused to turn up for the protest .

Management of Nitel last Tuesday announced the sack of 78 workers of the corporation amongst them union leaders who hitherto led the workers to demand for the payment of over nine months of salary arrears.
 
Comrade Sunday Alhassan,  president of NUPTE, ,  revealed in  a press conference in Abuja  last week that the management of the company had taken the part of war against the workers describing the move as an open invitation to anarchy and chaos.

 He condemned Nitel management for claiming that those disengaged were those who had put in 35 years of service or attained the mandatory age of 60.
 
“Meanwhile, the presumed sack of the labour leaders and their followers by the management under the guise of statutory retirement criteria of old age (60 years) and long service (35 years), is not only laughable but also a mockery of our collective integrity.
“For instance, workers who served the company within the range of 10 to 18 years and whose age bracket falls within 40 to 48 years were amazingly included. If the truth must be told, the only crime committed by those purported to have been sacked by the management is standing by the truth and demanding the rights of the workers at all times,” Alhassan said.
 
 Alhassan observed that the former management of Nitel  prior to Transcorp take over in 2006 never victimized any member of staff for asking for their rights and taking part  in union activities.

Further, he said that other workers who did not turn up for the proposed protest march to the Ministry of Information and Communications and the National Assembly were under the influence of fear as management had intimidated them with their intention to sack should they partake.
 
He urged management to rescind its decision and recall the workers specially this time that Transcorp, the core investor in company has shown intension to withdraw its share holding beginning June 2009.
 

C
Published by

Comms Week

Trained and practicing journalist passionate about telecommunications, fintech, cybersecurity, and digital economy reporting.

More in News