Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us

General News

Revealed: Plot to Kidnap Jega during Presidential Poll

Published

on

Prof. Attahiru Jega, Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)
Kindly share this post

Fresh facts have emerged on the March 31 attempt by Elder Godsday Orubebe, former minister of Niger Delta Affairs, to scuttle the announcement of the March 28 presidential election results.

The main part of Orubebe’s action, according to Reuters on Thursday, was a plot to use hired thugs to kidnap Prof. Attahiru Jega, chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), and consequently stall the electoral process.

Reuters said it pieced the information together from the text message, events on the ground during the announcement of the results and interviews with pro-democracy advocates and diplomats in   Abuja.

The news agency quoted unnamed pro-democracy advocates and a Nigeria-based diplomat as saying that one of Jega’s aides unearthed the plot.

Kayode Idowu, chief press secretary to the chairman of the commission, however told a Punch Newspapers correspondent that he was not aware of the alleged plot to kidnap Jega.

But Reuters said that the aide had sent a text message to an independent voting monitor, “warning of an imminent threat to the electoral process.”

It added that when the independent voting monitor sent the SMS, he hoped the outside world would hear of the plot and the text of the message .

“Fellow countrymen, Nigeria on Trial,” read the SMS sent on the morning of March 31 to the head of the Situation Room, an Abuja-based coalition of human rights groups and pro-democracy advocates monitoring the elections.

“Plans are on storm [sic] the podium at the ICC Collation Centre and disrupt the process. Nobody is sue [sic] what will happen. Please share this as widely as possible,” the text read further.

At that moment,   Jega was about to preside over the announcement of the results.

As tallies from around the country showed that the All Progressives Congress candidate, Muhammadu Buhari, was leading, “unidentified PDP (Peoples Democratic Party) hard-liners started to panic, seeking ways of manipulating the count,” the boss of the Situation Room and the diplomat said, citing political contacts in the Niger Delta and Abuja.

Realising they could not engineer an outright win,   the PDP agents set about doctoring the tally at collation centres in pro- (Goodluck) Jonathan areas to ensure Buhari failed to meet a requirement for 25 per cent support in two-thirds of the states, the head of the Situation Room said, citing reports from election monitors on the ground.

Reuters said its reporter witnessed and photographed one tally list in Port Harcourt, Rivers State with suspiciously similar totals for registered voters at polling stations: 500, 500, 500, 500, 500, 500, 500, 500, 450.

In another tally centre in the city, 17,594 valid votes were recorded out of a registered voter population of 11,757, the Reuters reporter said.

Foreign election observers also noted the peculiarities – and contacted diplomats in Abuja who called in international intervention.

The United States Secretary of State, John Kerry, and his British counterpart, Philip Hammond, who were in Switzerland for talks on Iran – issued a tough statement saying vote counting “may be subject to deliberate political interference.”

But   as Buhari’s lead grew, some PDP supporters from the Niger Delta, including Orubebe, decided on a final gamble: to create a disturbance in the main INEC hall and have “thugs snatch Jega from the stage, Reuters quoted the Head of the Situation Room and the Abuja-based diplomat.

What the group planned to do after the abduction was unclear, they   said.

“It was a desperate thing, mostly by a group of people from the Niger Delta who were in the room,” the Situation Room head said, describing events that unfolded publicly in the minutes after he received the SMS.

When Jega opened proceedings on the morning of March 31, Orubebe had grabbed a microphone and launched into an 11-minute tirade accusing Jega of bias.

“Mr. chairman, we have lost confidence in you,” he shouted, pushing away officials trying to make him surrender the microphone. “You are being very, very selective. You are partial,” he continued, surrounded by three or four supporters. “You are tribalistic. We cannot take it.”

At this point, according to the Head of the Situation Room and the diplomat, Jega’s security details were approached by unidentified individuals telling them to stand down but they declined.

“Some of the guards who had been guarding Jega for years demanded a written order,” the Head of the Situation Room said.

Jega later rebuked Orubebe, saying, “Let us not disrupt a process that has ended peacefully,” he said as Orubebe slumped in his chair.

“Mr. Orubebe, you are a former minister of the Federal Republic. You are a statesman in your own right. You should be careful about what you say or about what allegations you make,” he said.

Orubebe later congratulated Buhari on Twitter, expressing his “apologies to fellow Nigerians.”

Orubebe did not respond to requests by the news agency for comment on the details of the plot.

INEC, said the news agency,   also declined to comment and turned down requests for an interview with Jega,

Reuters however said it found no evidence to suggest that Jonathan, who accepted defeat in the election, was involved in the plot.

Kayode Idowu, chief press secretary to the chairman of INEC, said that he was not aware of the alleged plot to kidnap Jega.

Idowu said, “I think somebody is imagining here. The chairman was not aware of any such plan, he didn’t conduct any investigation to know that. He was not under such threat during or after the announcement.’’


Kindly share this post

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek believes that technology makes life more exciting and helps improve the lives of people around Nigeria and indeed the world. So since 2007, we have devoted our energy to independent reportage of technology and how they affect lives.

General News

Nigerian Military Makes History with Africa’s First Attack Drones, Bombs

Published

on

Kindly share this post

Nigerian Military, in partnership with Briech UAS, a communications company, has unveiled the first and largest indigenous attack drones and bombs in Nigeria and Africa.

Nigerian Military Makes History with Africa’s First Attack Drones, Bombs

Briech UAS, alongside the Nigerian Army, demonstrated these attack drones and bombs at the company’s headquarters in Abuja on Wednesday.

General Christopher Musa, chief of Defence Staff (CDS), hailed the initiative as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s progress toward self-reliance in defence technology and a crucial step in enhancing national security.

Musa highlighted the importance of developing combat drones, particularly for intelligence gathering. He pointed out that these drones would play a pivotal role in addressing complex and asymmetric security threats.

“These force multipliers will greatly enhance the operational effectiveness of our military, especially in a world where global politics complicate the procurement of advanced military hardware,” he stated.

“Countries that do not produce these solutions face bureaucratic and diplomatic challenges when acquiring essential platforms. We are directly addressing this challenge.

“If we do not produce what we need, we will be at the mercy of others, even if we have the financial resources to acquire them.

“By manufacturing these drones locally, Nigeria reduces dependence on foreign resources, ensures faster acquisition, and strengthens its ability to respond to security threats swiftly.

“With the brilliant minds we have, particularly among our youth, we can create outstanding technology that competes on a global scale,” Musa said.

Plateau Governor Caleb Mutfwang underlined the importance of supporting indigenous products for Nigeria’s growth.

He stressed that the drones would be vital in safeguarding the country’s sovereignty, particularly in Plateau State, where some of these technologies have already been deployed to enhance the efficiency of ground forces.

Mutfwang also revealed that his state was collaborating with local bomb and drone manufacturers like Briech UAS to counter insurgency with domestically produced weapons.

“As a nation, we made a mistake by allowing non-state actors to acquire capabilities nearly on par with state actors,” he stated.

“We’ve entered into a partnership that has led to the deployment of these facilities in our state. We’ve seen substantial improvements in the effectiveness of our security forces.

“It was a mistake to let non-state actors gather capabilities that could almost overpower legitimate state forces. We must correct that imbalance.

“We must ensure no one within our borders has capabilities that surpass or match those responsible for protecting our national sovereignty,” he added.

Earlier, Dr Bright Echefu, chairman of Briech UAS, noted that insurgent groups like Boko Haram and ISWAP have been using commercial drones for reconnaissance and attacks.

“These drones have been used to track and attack our troops, coordinating ambushes and executing crude aerial strikes,” he said.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

General News

FG Trains 49 Persons with Disabilities in IT Skills

Published

on

David Daser, president and CEO, DBI,
Kindly share this post

Digital Bridge Institute (DBI), has trained and graduated 49 persons with disabilities (PWDs) from a nine-month IT programme aimed at bridging Nigeria’s digital divide.

FG Trains 49 Persons with Disabilities in IT Skills

The graduates, comprising 24 from DBI’s Lagos campus and 25 from its Kano campus, acquired industry-recognized certifications and essential digital skills to enhance their participation in the tech sector.

The IT Bridge Academy, a federal government initiative designed to support PWDs, provides specialized training to help them access opportunities in the modern digital economy.

The programme was implemented in partnership with Sightsavers International and is only the second of its kind in Africa, after a similar initiative in Kenya.

At the Lagos graduation ceremony, David Daser, president and CEO, DBI, represented by Viola Askia-Usoro, institute’s head of special duties, described the initiative as a major step towards digital inclusion.

“This academy is not just about education; it’s about creating opportunities for PWDs to realize their full potential,” he stated, highlighting the programme’s role in tackling stigma, discrimination, and limited access to training.

Daser urged the graduates to advocate for digital accessibility and called on public and private sector stakeholders to support inclusive initiatives that empower PWDs in Nigeria’s technology space.

Speaking on behalf of the graduates, cohort 2 class governor Amos Adegboyega acknowledged the challenges they faced during the programme and expressed gratitude for the support received, saying, “There are abilities in disability, and this training has given us the confidence to achieve our dreams.”


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

General News

Airbnb Community Fund Donates ₦13 Billion to Nonprofits Worldwide

Published

on

Kindly share this post

In a bid to strengthen communities worldwide, Airbnb has announced the recipients of its annual Community Fund grants for 2025. This year, the initiative will distribute over ₦13 billion ($8.5 million USD) to more than 160 nonprofits across 30 countries globally.

Among the beneficiaries are six organisations in Africa, where efforts focus on economic empowerment, environmental sustainability, and combating abuse and exploitation.

Launched in 2020, the Airbnb Community Fund is a ₦153 billion ($100 million USD) initiative aimed at directly supporting communities and residents globally. By 2030, the Fund is projected to disburse its full ₦153 billion commitment.

Each year, Airbnb collaborates with local hosts to nominate and select nonprofit organisations for funding. Hosts act as key contributors, leveraging their deep understanding of community needs to guide impactful donations.

African Recipients Leading Change

This year, funding was allocated to nonprofits tackling pressing social issues. Among the African beneficiaries are:

Digify Africa, South Africa: Empowering young people with digital skills for economic growth.

AfriLabs, Nigeria: Supporting entrepreneurs with funding and networks for scaling businesses.

Children of Africa, Kenya: Advocating for vocational training and education for underprivileged girls.

Global Give Back Circle, Kenya: Providing vulnerable girls and young women with opportunities for transformative community impact.

Qhakaza Mohare, Chief Operating Officer of Digify Africa, praised Airbnb’s contribution, emphasizing its role in expanding initiatives and creating sustainable impacts in underserved communities.

Global Impact

To date, the Airbnb Community Fund has distributed over ₦55 billion ($36 million USD) to nonprofits in nearly 70 countries, with hosts driving much of its success.


Kindly share this post
Continue Reading

Trending