United States Consulate in Nigeria has issued a warning that terrorist groups may be planning to launch attacks on hotels in Lagos, especially those heavily patronized by expatriates during today or tomorrow.
The Consulate, in security alert message for U.S citizens in Lagos, Nigeria published on its website on Tuesday said the terrorist groups may launch attacks on the hotels “including those located on waterfronts, during the Eid-al-Fitr holidays.
“The U.S. Mission in Nigeria advises that groups associated with terrorist activity might be planning attacks against hotels in Lagos frequented by international visitors, including those located on waterfronts, during the Eid-al-Fitr holidays.
“The U.S. Mission in Nigeria reminds you to review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security,” the Embassy said on it website. The Mission did not mention any specific terrorist group.
But Boko Haram insurgents, the active terrorist group in Nigeria has not succeeded in launching a major attack in Nigeria, despite similar warnings by the US Consulate in the past.
However, the warning follows spate of bombing attacks by ISIS and its affiliated groups in Saudi Arabia, Iraq and some other countries in the past few days.
Meanwhile, there was tight security around top hotels frequented by expatriates, wealthy Nigerians and politicians in the Federal Capital Territory on Tuesday.
Also, officials at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, told one of our correspondents that the security awareness at the facility had been high, particularly since the terrorist attack at Ataturk Airport Istanbul, Turkey.
Elsewhere, the Lagos State Police Command said it has put in place operational strategies to forestall terror attacks on any location in the state.
Fatai Owoseni, state Commissioner of Police, in an interview with one of our correspondents on Tuesday, said the command was on top of the situation.
Owoseni, ‘‘Measures have been put in place to forestall any unfortunate incident. We are on top of this situation.’’
US Warns of Terror Attacks on Lagos
Comms Week6 Jul 20160 Comments

United States Consulate in Nigeria has issued a warning that terrorist groups may be planning to launch attacks on hotels in Lagos, especially those heavily patronized by expatriates during today or…
C
Published by
Comms Week
Trained and practicing journalist passionate about telecommunications, fintech, cybersecurity, and digital economy reporting.
You May Like

Releasing President Tinubu’s Records Can Endanger Lives – FBI

Tinubu Orders Arrest of Nwabueze, Head of Another Fake Agency, Suspension of 3 Perm Secs

How AI, Poor Governance Aid Transnational Scams —UNODC

Access to Equipment, Specialists Key to Survival of Preterm Babies — Haven Pediatric CMD

Shell Reinforces Safety Commitment @ CEO Contractors Forum




