Wednesday, 19 August 2026
Nigeria Communications Week
General News

FG Classifies Ebola Importation into Nigeria as High Risk

Ebere Melum-Nwogbo25 May 20260 Comments
FG Classifies Ebola Importation into Nigeria as High Risk
Kindly share this post

Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) has classified the risk of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) importation into Nigeria as high amid the ongoing outbreaks in the Democratic Republic of…

Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) has classified the risk of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) importation into Nigeria as high amid the ongoing outbreaks in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda, though the agency confirmed that no case linked to the regional outbreak has been detected in the country.

FG Classifies Ebola Importation into Nigeria as High Risk

Dr Jide Idris, director-general of the NCDC, in a public health advisory released on Sunday, stated that the assessment followed the World Health Organization’s declaration of the outbreaks as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).

According to Dr Idris, the high-risk classification was informed by increasing international travel and population movement, continued transmission in the affected countries, uncertainty surrounding the full scale of the outbreak, and the possibility of delayed detection because Ebola symptoms resemble other endemic diseases such as malaria and Lassa fever.

He, however, assured Nigerians that high-risk states, border communities, major transport hubs, and Points of Entry had already been identified as part of ongoing preparedness efforts.

Despite the risk, Dr Idris noted that the country possesses critical response capacities, including functional laboratories, trained rapid response teams, emergency operations centres, and existing viral haemorrhagic fever preparedness structures strengthened by previous successful responses to Ebola and similar outbreaks.

He also stated that the National Emergency Operations Centre had been placed on alert mode, while the National Incident Management System had also been activated to strengthen coordination, reporting, and rapid response mechanisms nationwide.

He explained that epidemiologists and rapid response teams had been placed on standby for possible deployment, while collaboration among state ministries of health, port health services, and other relevant agencies had been intensified.

According to him, surveillance activities have also been strengthened nationwide through enhanced monitoring of alerts, rumours, and unusual health events to support early detection and response.

Dr Idris said border communities and points of entry are under increased surveillance, while health workers across the country are undergoing refresher sensitisation on infection prevention and control measures, early identification of suspected cases, and proper triage procedures.

He further said that states had been advised to incorporate Ebola preparedness into their emergency response systems by designating isolation and treatment centres, assessing bed capacity, strengthening referral pathways, and ensuring the availability of logistics and essential medical supplies.

He also revealed that plans were ongoing to preposition critical response commodities such as personal protective equipment (PPEs), laboratory consumables, body bags, and emergency medical supplies in strategic locations across the country.

On laboratory readiness, Dr Idris said Nigeria currently maintains Ebola testing capacity in states with international points of entry and within the national public health laboratory network, with surge testing capability available if needed.

He said the agency has intensified public awareness campaigns and risk communication efforts aimed at combating misinformation and false claims circulating online about Ebola.

While urging Nigerians not to panic, Dr Idris advised members of the public to maintain proper hand hygiene, avoid direct contact with bodily fluids of sick persons, refrain from handling corpses of individuals who died from unexplained illnesses, and avoid bushmeat from unknown sources.

He advised travellers arriving from countries with confirmed Ebola cases to monitor their health for 21 days and immediately contact health authorities if symptoms develop.

He also urged healthcare workers to maintain a high index of suspicion for Ebola cases, strictly observe infection prevention protocols, use PPEs appropriately, and promptly report suspected cases through established channels.

E
Published by

Ebere Melum-Nwogbo

Trained and practicing journalist passionate about telecommunications, fintech, cybersecurity, and digital economy reporting.

More in General News